As there is less to return to Madrid, I happened to get into Wikipedia to see what they say about my beloved city. And I went to Wikipedia Wiktionary, a dictionary quite poor that manages Wikipedia and is still the same system (Ie you edit who knows about the subject, although in this case seems not cite sources.)
I had always thought that Madrid was one of those cities whose name did not change in other languages. Well I was wrong. Although virtually all languages \u200b\u200bof the European Union said in English as there are a few in which his name varies. Here's a list I found (if you know one let me know and I add): Albanian
- : Madridi
- Korean : Madeurideu (마드리드) Chinese
- : Mǎdélǐ (马德里) Esperanto
- : Madrid
- Modern Greek: Madhriti (Μαδρίτη)
- Japanese : Madore (マドリード) or Madoriddo (マドリッド)
- Latin: Latvian
- Matritum : Madrider
- Lithuanian : Madrid
- Polish : Basque
- MADRYT : Madril
Some theories say the name comes from the Celtic spirit Maget ("great bridge"), but it is likely that its origin is Roman matrix (which means something like "mother" but not applied to a woman, but rather the cause, origin or source of rivers ... in this case). The latter term refers to the stream that ran between two hills facing (the Manzanares, I say).
Others think the name is a hybrid two very similar place names: a Mozarabic matrice ("source" or "mother of waters") and an Arab, or maǧrà MAJR (meaning "riverbed" or riverbed). It is also possible that comes from Maǧrīṭ (which is in turn m Ayra, "mother" and the suffix it, "place"), the English form is Magerit.
As we see, all terms refer to the abundance of streams and groundwater of the site. Some say that the Arabs (specifically the emir Muhammad Ibn Abd al-Rahman, son of Abderrahman II) who founded Madrid, to monitor progress Christian conquerors. Matrice say was a term pre-Muslim, the Arabs translated by Mayrit . After the Reconquista, the name was Matrit prevailed, which I find a mixture of matrice and Mayrit . And, curiously or not, many still call the city Madrit (how Poles!).
0 comments:
Post a Comment