The truth is that I have always enjoyed a good memory. And he's been lucky. I studied Geography and History and work in a school, in both areas my memory has been very helpful. Could not possibly have finished the race without it, or have passed the opposition, nor can deal with some dignity in my classes. Memory is also unusual, for example, give me bad names of people (no sides), when I run into a former student I know, more or less, when I gave her class and if it was good or bad but almost I never remember what it was called (what which is often embarrassing). That
good memory helps me a lot with this little love of literature, I remember quite well the patterns and degrees of the things I read and I like. Almost never do I have to consult a book, for example, write about it in this blog or discussion on a forum (yes, I never remember well the names of the players, curious).
So I have a good memory. Or at least so I thought. Why lately I'm beginning to doubt the alleged ability of mine. It was this gift that is not as good as it was: age, Alzheimer? No idea but I'm starting to develop that happens both the elderly, of being able to perfectly agree on something that happened 60 years ago and have trouble remembering events of last week.
And I'll give an example. In 2006 I was a member of the jury I Xatafi-Cyberdark Prize Fantastic Literature. Among other things I had to read me a lot of books to do my job. Of course, not all fantasy production in 2005 but a succulent piece.
For example, I read every issue of Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, 2005 (N ° 15-21). There were more than 2,000 pages and about 70-80 stories (of course, that is not just the short narrative section, there were many more anthologies).
This Christmas I got to browse the entire collection of Asimov. Eye, not to read it to me, just go over it over, focus on some pieces, read a few snippets ... Well, there I got a big surprise. I remember almost none of the stories of that 2005. I looked at them, looked again and almost all seemed brand new, as if he had never read. In fact only remembered certain intensity fourteen of them. They are: Stableford Nectar
The Oxygen
Popkes ice upward
Garcia and Robertson Lake Wolves Sanders Ten Spokesman sea
wood Watson
A Princess of Earth
dry bones Resnick TK'TK'TK
Sanders'
Levine Far from the Land of Shadow Twin
Barton Abraham, Dozois and Martin
Through Lace Nestvold
Play "Nobody's Home" by Avril Lavigne Planells
The Man Ice Cream Van Pelt
The little goddess of McDonald
There is some logic in some of these memories, for example, the little goddess was the one who won the award for best foreign accounts and is a very good story. A Princess of Earth was one of the nominees, like Play "Nobody's Home" by Avril Lavigne. Ten Lake Lobos remember exactly why it was my favorite, a beautiful story reminded me Variant Zelazny Unicorn (unfortunately I was the lone juror who had that feeling, no one else voted.)
But the rest, frankly, I have no idea why they stayed in my head and others do not. Okay, some are really good stories even if they had the same fate as my favorite: the award passed by unnoticed.
Nectar has a very original futuristic and attractive, is very reminiscent Dry Bones (Sanders is not a bad writer in my opinion), very far from Earth is one of the most powerful visions I know about the failure of the CF and Twin shadow is a good adventure story.
But others are pretty mediocre, perhaps Spokesman Sea wood stuck in my head to come from an author Watson broadly pretty decent but the story itself is pretty mediocre, and oxygen up even a routine story as no longer a space opera, a my weaknesses. But why the hell I remember so well from the ice Popkes, a long and boring clones leaden history? TK'TK'TK Or supposedly humorous but really unbearable? And what about the ice cream man of grace and more mutants without hearing that the comic? Through the socket, a mediocre story, why not take it off my head?
To me this is a mystery, or rather, two. Why stories are not anything special I stick to the neurons and not going and that I can remember only 14 stories of 70-80.
And for an example of how well other things I can remember older. The volumes of the Hugo Awards Roca Martinez pulled in 80. I remember vividly all the stories and even many of the introductions of Asimov. And the last time I reread was, at least, at 90.
As I said, a mystery, old age or degeneration, but in any case highly irritating to noses.
good memory helps me a lot with this little love of literature, I remember quite well the patterns and degrees of the things I read and I like. Almost never do I have to consult a book, for example, write about it in this blog or discussion on a forum (yes, I never remember well the names of the players, curious).
So I have a good memory. Or at least so I thought. Why lately I'm beginning to doubt the alleged ability of mine. It was this gift that is not as good as it was: age, Alzheimer? No idea but I'm starting to develop that happens both the elderly, of being able to perfectly agree on something that happened 60 years ago and have trouble remembering events of last week.
And I'll give an example. In 2006 I was a member of the jury I Xatafi-Cyberdark Prize Fantastic Literature. Among other things I had to read me a lot of books to do my job. Of course, not all fantasy production in 2005 but a succulent piece.
For example, I read every issue of Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, 2005 (N ° 15-21). There were more than 2,000 pages and about 70-80 stories (of course, that is not just the short narrative section, there were many more anthologies).
This Christmas I got to browse the entire collection of Asimov. Eye, not to read it to me, just go over it over, focus on some pieces, read a few snippets ... Well, there I got a big surprise. I remember almost none of the stories of that 2005. I looked at them, looked again and almost all seemed brand new, as if he had never read. In fact only remembered certain intensity fourteen of them. They are: Stableford Nectar
The Oxygen
Popkes ice upward
Garcia and Robertson Lake Wolves Sanders Ten Spokesman sea
wood Watson
A Princess of Earth
dry bones Resnick TK'TK'TK
Sanders'
Levine Far from the Land of Shadow Twin
Barton Abraham, Dozois and Martin
Through Lace Nestvold
Play "Nobody's Home" by Avril Lavigne Planells
The Man Ice Cream Van Pelt
The little goddess of McDonald
There is some logic in some of these memories, for example, the little goddess was the one who won the award for best foreign accounts and is a very good story. A Princess of Earth was one of the nominees, like Play "Nobody's Home" by Avril Lavigne. Ten Lake Lobos remember exactly why it was my favorite, a beautiful story reminded me Variant Zelazny Unicorn (unfortunately I was the lone juror who had that feeling, no one else voted.)
But the rest, frankly, I have no idea why they stayed in my head and others do not. Okay, some are really good stories even if they had the same fate as my favorite: the award passed by unnoticed.
Nectar has a very original futuristic and attractive, is very reminiscent Dry Bones (Sanders is not a bad writer in my opinion), very far from Earth is one of the most powerful visions I know about the failure of the CF and Twin shadow is a good adventure story.
But others are pretty mediocre, perhaps Spokesman Sea wood stuck in my head to come from an author Watson broadly pretty decent but the story itself is pretty mediocre, and oxygen up even a routine story as no longer a space opera, a my weaknesses. But why the hell I remember so well from the ice Popkes, a long and boring clones leaden history? TK'TK'TK Or supposedly humorous but really unbearable? And what about the ice cream man of grace and more mutants without hearing that the comic? Through the socket, a mediocre story, why not take it off my head?
To me this is a mystery, or rather, two. Why stories are not anything special I stick to the neurons and not going and that I can remember only 14 stories of 70-80.
And for an example of how well other things I can remember older. The volumes of the Hugo Awards Roca Martinez pulled in 80. I remember vividly all the stories and even many of the introductions of Asimov. And the last time I reread was, at least, at 90.
As I said, a mystery, old age or degeneration, but in any case highly irritating to noses.
0 comments:
Post a Comment